The Board of Governors is the governing body of the WSBA that determines the general policies of the Bar and approves its budget each year. The board moves the Bar forward with an eye toward its long-standing mission, guiding principles, and short-term strategic goals. The board consists of the President, President-elect, Immediate Past President, and members elected from each Congressional District and at-large.
Your Congressional District is listed on myWSBA (log in required). You can also enter your home address (or if you live out of state, your agent of service address) on this congressional district map. Choose "Congressional," select "Find My District," and then the map next to the symbol marking your address.
UPDATE: Per Washington Supreme Court directive, all Board action on proposed bylaw amendments is deferred until further Court notice.
Meeting materials are posted by Friday afternoon prior to the Board meeting. Late materials, if any, are posted the day prior to the Board meeting. The Board may go into executive session for any reason listed in RCW 42.30.110. No final disposition regarding any matter will occur at the meeting except as indicated on this notice.
Next Board of Governors Meeting
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN by the Washington State Bar Association Board of Governors, pursuant to RCW 42.30.080, that a Board of Governors retreat and meeting will be held on:
Date: Thursday & Friday, Sept. 26-27, 2019
Time: Thursday, 8:30 a.m.
Time: Friday, 9 a.m.
Location: WSBA Conference Center, 1325 Fourth Ave., Suite 600, Seattle, Washington
?Thursday's meeting, 8:30 a.m.–4 p.m.
Friday's meeting, 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
Some Board members may participate via conference call. A speaker phone will be available during the Board meeting at the location noted above for members of the public to attend and hear statements/discussion of those members participating by phone. In addition, call-in instructions are pasted below for members of the public who would like to attend telephonically.
Instructions for public call in: 866-577-9294, access code 52810#
You are not required to state your name to join this meeting. If the conference call provider message asks that you state your name, you may press # without stating your name and you will be connected to the meeting.
Reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities will be provided upon request. Please email Margaret Shane at email@example.com or 206-727-8244.
The purpose of the meeting is for the Board to discuss, deliberate, and take potential final action regarding the following agenda items:
Thursday, Sept. 26, 2019
Welcome / President's & Interim ED's Report / Member & Public Comments
Budget & Audit Committee Proposals - Dan Bridges, Governor/Treasurer, and Jorge Perez, Chief Financial Officer
- Final WSBA FY2020 Budget (action)
- Proposed Fiscal Policy Revisions re Cost Center (action)
- Proposed Supplemental Audit Options (action)
2020 Keller Deduction Schedule - Terra Nevitt, Interim Executive Director (action)
Washington State Bar Foundation (WSBF) Annual Meeting - Kristina Larry, WSBF President, and Laura Sanford, Foundation Development Officer
- Approve Proposed Amendments to the WSBF Bylaws (action)
- Appoint Members to WSBF Board of Trustees (action)
Court Rules & Procedures Committee Proposals - Jefferson Coulter, Chair
- Proposed Amendments to MAR 7.2 (first reading/potential action)
- Proposed Amendments to CrR 8.2 and CrRLJ 8.2 (first reading/potential action)
Pro Bono & Public Service Committee Proposed Letter re Immigration Detention Centers - Ian Munce, WSBA Member; Paul Okner, Committee Co-Chair; and Althea Paulson, Committee Member (first reading/potential action)
Lunch with Liaisons & Legal Foundation of Washington Board
Update & Discussion re Washington Supreme Court Bar Structure Work Group Majority & Minority
Reports - Governors Dan Clark, Kyle Sciuchetti, and Paul Swegle
Update from Washington Young Lawyers Committee (WYLC) - Jordan Couch, WYLC Chair-elect
Annual Discussion with Deans of Washington State Law Schools - Annette Clark, Seattle University School of Law Dean; Jacob Rooksby, Gonzaga School of Law Dean; and Mario Barnes, University of Washington School of Law Dean
Swearing-in of 2019-2020 WSBA President & 2019-2022 Governors by Steven Gonzalez, Washington Supreme Court Justice
4 p.m. - Recess
Friday, Sept. 27, 2019
Review & Comments re Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) Board Suggested Amendments to APR 11 Ethics Requirement - Todd Alberstone, MCLE Board Chair, and Adelaine Shay, MCLE Manager (action)
Report From Personnel Committee re Proposed WSBA BOG No Retaliation Policy - Governor Chris Meserve, Chair, and Felix Neals, Director of Human Resources
Discussion of Board Updates & Communications - Governor P.J. Grabicki, and Sara Niegowski, Chief Communications & Outreach Officer (second reading)
Council on Public Defense (CPD) Proposals
- Proposed Appellate Guidelines - Travis Stearns, CPD Chair, and Kevin Plachy, Interim Director of Advancement
- Proposed Defender Resource Guide - Jaime Hawk, CPD Member, and Kevin Plachy, Interim Director of Advancement (first reading)
Consent Calendar (action)
- July 26-27, 2019, Meeting Minutes
- Sept. 9, 2019, Special Meeting Minutes
- Client Protection Board Gift Recommendations
- Appoint Chairs & Vice-Chairs to WSBA Committees & Boards
Lunch with Liaisons & Guests
Member and Public Comments
Suggestions re Character & Fitness Process - Tarra Simmons, Civil Survival Project Director at the Public Defender Association
First Year Class Election of FY2020 Executive Committee Member (action)
Proposed BOG Civil Litigation Rules Revision Work Group Charter - Julie Shankland, General Counsel
Committee on WSBA Mission Performance & Review (CMPR) Recommendations - President-elect Rajeev Majumdar, Chair, and Pam Inglesby, Bar Services Manager
- Approve FY2019 CMPR Recommendations (action)
- Approve Chair Majumdar's Recommendation re CMPR (action)
Discussion re District 3 Seat (potential action)
Proposal re WSBA Magazine Name - Governor Carla Higginson, and Sara Niegowski, Chief Communications & Outreach Officer (first reading)
Governor Roundtable (Governors' issues of interest)
President's Closing Remarks
Announce Basis for Executive Session Pursuant to RCW 42.30.110(1)(i) (if needed)
- Interim Executive Director's Report
- New Advisory Opinion 201901
- Demographics of WSBA Committee Applicants
- Access to Justice Board's Proposed Updates to the Access to Justice technology Principles
- Limited License Legal Technician (LLLT) Suggested Amendment to RPC 1.15A(h)(9)
- Chief Hearing Officer Annual Report
- Legal Foundation of Washington Annual Report
- Diversity & Inclusion Events
- Financial Statements
- Financials as of July 31, 2019
- Investment Update as of Aug. 31, 2019
- Preview of Nov. 22-23, 2019, Meeting
4 p.m. - Adjourn