Updated: Sept. 11, 2019

The WSBA Moderate Means Program does not provide immediate assistance and the program cannot guarantee a referral, particularly in some rural communities where attorney resources are limited. Other legal resources are available if you need immediate assistance.

The private lawyers participating in the Moderate Means Program are solely liable for their actions. Neither the Washington State Bar Association nor the law schools are responsible for the services you receive from the lawyer.

Am I Eligible?

To be eligible for the Moderate Means Program, you must be facing a family, housing, or consumer law issue and your household income must fall between 200%–400% of the federal poverty level (FPL).

What constitutes a family, consumer, or housing law issue?

Family Law — Separation or divorce, guardianship, child custody or visitation, child support, personal safety due to family member, establish the biological father of a child, adoption and juvenile dependency matters

Consumer LawDebt or debt collectors, problems with a payday lender, legal issue involving the purchase, financing or repair of a vehicle, legal issue regarding utilities (water, electricity, garbage), victim of unfair or deceptive sales practice, victim of identity theft and bankruptcy Chapters 7 and 13

Housing LawTrouble with rental housing or a landlord, eviction, unfair denial of housing and repair issues

Is my annual household income between 200% and 400% of the FPL?

2019 Federal Poverty Levels

Family Size200% 400% 

*Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

How Do I Get Assistance?

If you believe you are eligible for this program services, for legal help. Applying online is the fastest way to process your request. If you can’t apply online or have trouble with the application, please call our toll free intake line at 855-741-6930. 

A law student volunteer will call you within 3-5 business days. 

The WSBA Moderate Means Program does not provide immediate assistance. It can take up to three weeks to place a case and the program cannot guarantee a referral. Other legal resources are available if you need immediate assistance. 


Next Steps

Once you speak with a law student volunteer and you are deemed eligible for the program, the law student will try to place your case with an attorney. If an attorney is available, the law student will provide you with the attorney's name and contact information. You are responsible for contacting the attorney. WSBA nor the law schools will schedule appointments for you and the attorney.

How Much Will the Attorney Charge?

There is no set amount for an attorney to charge. Attorneys have agreed to reduce their fees on a sliding scale and request an advanced deposit. Be sure to agree on charges prior to accepting their services. Written fee agreements are highly encouraged.

What if I Don't Qualify?

If you do not have an issue that fits within the areas listed above or your income is below 200% of the FPL, review our Find Legal Help page for additional resources.